Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers: Transform and Extend the Enterprise WAN Edge
Cisco creates a new paradigm for the WAN edge with the Cisco ASR 1000 Series aggregation Services Routers, which offer business-critical resiliency with intelligent services flexibility to allow enterprise businesses to accelerate their growth potential.
What Is the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Router?
The Cisco ASR 1000 Series Router, a critical part of the Cisco Borderless Network Architecture, is the industry’s first aggregation services router and the first system within the Cisco portfolio to use the Cisco QuantumFlow Processor, a processor built for edge-based service delivery (refer to Figure 1). You can deploy the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers at the enterprise to provide secure WAN aggregation services;integrated threat and defense services at the WAN or Internet edge; data center interconnect (DCI) router; managed customer premises-equipment (CPE) services; or to deliver complex residential quadruple-play (data, voice, video, and mobile) or business services from the provider edge.
Cisco QuantumFlow Processor:
The Next-Generation Network Processor from Cisco
Meeting the requirements of the aggregation service edge required an entirely new category of network processors. Cisco has developed an innovative router engine called the Cisco QuantumFlow Processor, which is the industry’s first fully integrated and programmable flow processor. The Cisco QuantumFlow Processor combines massive parallel processing, customized quality of service (QoS), advanced memory management, and integrated services programmability. With these capabilities, the Cisco ASR 1000 Series accelerates service deployment and feature velocity, resulting in reduced qualification and deployment time and lower operating expenses (OpEx).
What Problems Does It Help Solve?
Enterprises worldwide face several new WAN infrastructure challenges:
- WAN edge infrastructure performance: Enterprises need to deliver higherperformance, higher-bandwidth services over their converged WANs, along with capacity headroom to operate efficiently.
- Highly available WAN infrastructure: Enterprises need to provide anytime, everywhere access to applications and services over the WAN. This provision requires a more highly available, resilient, and adaptive infrastructure than they have today.
- WAN security for data protection and compliance: Businesses need to satisfy industry regulations regarding data privacy, and adhere to regulations such as the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX), Payment Card Industry (PCI), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), and so on.
- Service delivery with application intelligence: Enterprises need to meet demanding internal service-level agreements (SLAs), with improved service delivery and application performance over the WAN.
Cisco ASR 1000 Series Positioning
The Cisco ASR 1000 Series provides scalable, secure multiservice aggregation at the headquarters, and high-end branch-office and managed CPE services in remote offices. By meeting or exceeding these requirements, the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers are helping to define the new enterprise WAN.
Benefits of Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers
Enterprises deploying the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers can realize the following benefits:
Very high performance at the WAN edge to support new and faster WAN services:
- More than twentyfold increase in WAN bandwidth performance and capacity compared with Cisco 7200 Series Routers
- New collaborative and secure connectivity features enabled with Cisco WebEx® Node on Cisco ASR 1000 Series for on-premises web meeting acceleration, Cisco Unified Border Element (UBE) Service Provider and Enterprise Editions for enhanced business-to-business telepresence, high-definition (HD) voice and video telephony, voice-over-IP (VoIP) public-switched-telephone-network (PSTN) interconnect, and enhanced secure connectivity and application optimization
- New WAN initiatives such as segmentation of enterprise networks for workgroups, data-center consolidation, and converged data, voice, and video applications facilitated
- Easy upgrade path because the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Router price/performance is positioned between the Cisco 7200 Series at the low end of the portfolio and the Cisco 7600 Series and Cisco Catalyst® 6500 Series at the high end
Unparalleled WAN availability for consistent and reliable service delivery across the WAN:
- Highly available carrier-class design with redundant hardware and software, providing consistent, reliable, and „always-on“ services
- Resilient hardware platform architecture with control- and data-plane separation for powerful system availability
- Complete hardware redundancy for forwarding and route processors with millisecond failover and zero packet loss (Note: forwarding engine failover results in minimal packet loss.)
- Industry’s first redundant software (Cisco IOS® XE Software) on nonredundant hardware (1-rack-unit [1RU], 2RU, and 4RU chassis)
- Modular Cisco IOS XE Software that provides ability to remotely restart, fault containment, and In-Service Sowtfware Ugrades (ISSUs)
Cisco ASR 1000 Series Components
A common hardware and software architecture and common components are used across the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers. Primary components include:
- Chassis: The chassis is available in five different form factors, and all have capability for dual power supplies (refer to Table 1):
For more details about the different chassis SKUs and bundles, please refer to the data
sheet or ordering guide.
- Route processor: The route processor runs the router control plane, including processing of network control packets, computation of routes, and connection setup.
- Embedded services processor (ESP): The ESP includes the Cisco Quantum Flow Processor chip set and provides forwarding, services, and traffic management (QoS) capabilities. A redundant ESP module option is available for the 6RU and 13RU chassis.
- SPA interface processor (SIP): The SIP is the housing for the shared port adapters (SPAs) in the system, each of which can take up to 4 half-height SPAs, or 2 double-height SPAs, or 1 double-height SPA and 2 single-height SPAs. For more information about the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers, please visit http://www.cisco.com/go/asr1000.
© 2012 Cisco and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved